Tongue and Lip Tie Release Treatment
Dr. Scott A. Funke has taken extensive hours of additional training in the diagnosis, treatment, and post operative treatment of lip and tongue tie release. Lip and tongue tie is very common and as many as one in five people have a lip or tongue tie! The condition often runs in families. Unfortunately, the condition is often overlooked and not properly diagnosed and treated. Dr. Funke treats this condition in his office using laser technology and has had the opportunity to help mothers, children, and their families including his own daughter!
Tongue and lip tie can present as a number of symptoms. Although many of these are common, they are not normal! These symptoms can often lead to a challenging relationship with the mother-infant bond, eating challenges, speech challenges, breathing challenges, sleep challenges, growth challenges, and social struggles. There is hope!
Symptoms in infants can include but are not limited to the following:
- Shallow/painful latch
- Falls asleep while eating
- Colic symptoms/cries a lot
- Reflux symptoms (it is not normal to have a child on acid reflux medications)
- Clicking or smacking noises while eating
- Spits up often leading to nasal congestion and breathing difficulty
- Hiccups often
Symptoms in nursing mothers can include but are not limited to the following:
- Creased, flattened or blanched nipples
- Blistered, cut, bleeding nipples
- Poor or incomplete breast drainage
- Need for nipple shield while nursing
- Baby prefers one side over the other
Symptoms in children may include but are not limited to the following:
- Speech difficulties (mumbling, stuttering, hard to understand, difficulty speaking quickly, in speech therapy, etc.)
- Feeding difficulties (grazes, packing food in cheeks, choking or gagging, spits out food, slow eater, etc.)
- Sleep issues (sleeps in strange positions, wakes easily, grinds teeth, sleeps with mouth open, snores, etc.)
- Neck or shoulder pain or tension
- TMJ pain/headaches
Dr. Funke takes a team approach with lactation consultants, chiropractors, and pediatricians. He believes that there is hope and Dr. Funke is happy to share the experience his family has personally had with treatment.
Call us today to learn more and reserve an appointment today!