Dr. Funke’s Family Journey with Lip and Tongue Tie
Dr. Funke’s wife and daughter struggled with many of the symptoms you will read below. His wife was almost ready to find alternatives to breastfeeding due to pain and frustration during every feeding. Dr. Funke’s wife felt that breastfeeding had become a full time job due to the frequency and duration of every feeding. It was also very painful and “worse than giving birth”. His daughter was also having unusual symptoms and issues as well. His daughter was constantly hiccupping, spitting up after every time she ate, always had nasal congestion with mouth breathing, and the list goes on. Dr. Funke and his wife were both first time parents but they knew that this was not normal. Dr. Funke wanted to find answers to help.
Dr. Funke learned through a dental colleague of possible undiagnosed lip and tongue tie. His daughter had been screened at the hospital at birth, but was never diagnosed or recommended to seek treatment. Dr. Funke also did not see anything out of the ordinary. He pursued training in the diagnosis, treatment, and post operative treatment of lip and tongue tie release. He learned that lip and tongue tie is not treated solely based on appearance, but rather the symptoms that present by both mother and baby. With his new training, Dr. Funke was able to properly diagnose and treat his daughter in his office with a laser. His wife felt immediate results with nursing. It should not hurt to nurse your baby! Over the following weeks, many of his daughter’s symptoms like spitting up, nasal congestion, hiccupping, gassiness, and feeding problems resolved.
Treatment changed the lives of his family. Dr. Funke hopes to reach, help, and give hope to others that may have the same questions and struggles.
For more information or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Funke, call us today or request an appointment online.507-289-8707 Appointments
Tongue and Lip Tie Release Treatment
Dr. Scott A. Funke has taken extensive hours of additional training in the diagnosis, treatment, and post operative treatment of lip and tongue tie release. Lip and tongue tie is very common and as many as one in five people have a lip or tongue tie! The condition often runs in families. Unfortunately, the condition is often overlooked and not properly diagnosed and treated. Dr. Funke treats this condition in his office using laser technology and has had the opportunity to help mothers, children, and their families including his own daughter!
Tongue and lip tie can present as a number of symptoms. Although many of these are common, they are not normal! These symptoms can often lead to a challenging relationship with the mother-infant bond, eating challenges, speech challenges, breathing challenges, sleep challenges, growth challenges, and social struggles. There is hope!
Symptoms in infants can include but are not limited to the following:
- Shallow/painful latch
- Falls asleep while eating
- Colic symptoms/cries a lot
- Reflux symptoms (it is not normal to have a child on acid reflux medications)
- Clicking or smacking noises while eating
- Spits up often leading to nasal congestion and breathing difficulty
- Hiccups often
- Lip curls under when nursing or bottle feeding
- Snoring/noisy sleeping
- Head, neck, body tension
- Blisters on lips
Symptoms in nursing mothers can include but are not limited to the following:
- Creased, flattened or blanched nipples
- Blistered, cut, bleeding nipples
- Poor or incomplete breast drainage
- Need for nipple shield while nursing
- Baby prefers one side over the other (likely caused by torticollis with baby)
Symptoms in children may include but are not limited to the following:
- Speech difficulties (mumbling, stuttering, hard to understand, difficulty speaking quickly, in speech therapy, etc.)
- Feeding difficulties (grazes, packing food in cheeks, choking or gagging, spits out food, slow eater, etc.)
- Sleep issues (sleeps in strange positions, wakes easily, grinds teeth, sleeps with mouth open, snores, etc.)
- Neck or shoulder pain/tension
- TMJ pain/headaches
- Reflux/GI issues
- Hyperactivity/inattention (ADHD)
Dr. Funke takes a team approach with lactation consultants, chiropractors, and pediatricians. He believes that there is hope and Dr. Funke is happy to share the experience his family has personally had with treatment.
Call us today at Med City Dental Phone Number 507-289-8707 to learn more or request an appointment!